Whoever came up with the simple idea of a meatball is a serious genius! Whether it’s spaghetti and meatballs or a meatball sub there is just something about eating meatballs that makes us all warm and fuzzy inside.
Another family dinner staple with endless possibilities. Today we will let you in on one of our favorites, Alabama BBQ Meatballs.
Here is what you will need to make these bad boys:
- 500g Pork Mince
- 3 TBS Alabama
- 1 Cup Ricotta
- Pinch salt
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs (you might need more but always start with less)
- 1 Bunch Parsley
- 2 Tins Crushed Tomato
Now for the messy part:
- Start by mixing everything together except for the breadcrumbs. Make sure you really get in there.
- Once everything is mixed start off by adding about 1 cup of breadcrumbs. Once that has been mixed see if you are able to roll a ball. Yes...a ball has formed and it isn't falling apart? Good go on to the next step. No? they are still squishy and falling apart? Add some more crumbs. The idea here is the fewer crumbs you add the softer the meatball will be and that in our opinion is a good thing. So just add half a cup at a time until you reach the right meatball consistency.
- Now you’re ready for the rolling, use a TBS to keep each ball a similar size, scoop and roll.
- In a baking dish place your crushed tomato, all we like to do is sprinkle the tomato with some salt, pepper and a TBS of Alabama
- Place your rolled meatballs straight into the baking tray with the tomato. Place into a preheated oven at 180c for approximately 25 minutes.
This right here is as simple as it gets folks. Some good old but seriously tasty baked meatballs with a smokey zingy Alabama BBQ twist.
Serve up with a side of crusty bread like we did and just go to town on them, or throw them into a sub, cover with cheese and trimmings. Simple right.