This spicy, tropical dish is seriously good for all year round. Super simple, not a lot of skill is required. What are you waiting for... Be a jerk!
What you need:
- 2 Chicken Maryland's
- Whizzle Wazzle of oil
- 2 TBS Caribbean Jerk
- 2 Cups white rice
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1 mango
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 red chilli
What you need to do:
- Start off by preheating your over to 190c, In a bowl place your chicken, a whizzle wazzle of oil, and a few TBS of jerk. Rub the marinade all over the chicken and really massage it in there. Place onto a tray and go straight into the oven.
- Next up cook your rice. Now I'm not going to explain how to cook rice. Hopefully you have a rice cooker because that makes life easier. But all you need is plain old steamed rice. Once you have your cooked rice that’s when we make it tasty. All you need to do is mix through a cup of toasted shredded coconut, half a cup of coconut cream and a handful of chopped coriander. Make sure it is seasoned well. Then leave to the side.
- For the salsa you can get fresh mangoes if they are around. If not, tinned mango works just as well. Either way dice up the mango, add a pinch of salt, ½ a bunch of chopped coriander, and as much or little red chilli as you like.
- Back to the roasting chicken. You will need to use your chef instincts here, but for an average Maryland of 250g you will be roasting for about 35 minutes. If you don’t trust those chef instincts of yours then I hope you have a meat thermometer. Because you will want that chicken in its thickest point to reach a temperature of at least 75c
- Once your chicken is cooked, warm up your rice, which by now should have absorbed that extra coconut cream.
Using those amazing chef skills you have it’s time to plate up, get creative or just copy us, rice on the bottom, Maryland on top, Spoon of salsa. Serve with a slice of lime and even an extra sprinkle of toasted coconut if you're feeling extra fancy.