It's something so simple... How can you go wrong with homemade burgers?
There are 3 types of people in the homemade burger world
Person 1: Puts every ingredient in thinking the more they add the better it will taste.
Person 2: Puts nothing in, but doesn’t buy quality mince so ultimately the flavour is boring.
Person 3: Person 3 is the one who knows what they are doing... But chances are if you're reading this you are not person 3 so keep reading... If you are person 3 then what are you doing here? Go make burgers will you!
So, for us there are 3 very important things for a mind-blowing home burger.
- Quality Meat – This is a must!
- A little bit of flavour – You want the meat to shine through
- Season that burger properly!
Here is what you are going to need to do to lift your burger game.
- Start off with some decent mince from your local butcher. In a bowl mix the mince with a few TBS of whatever flavor rub you want. We recommend Memphis or Alabama for a smoky BBQ flavor!
- For about 500g of mince (about 4 large patties) add 1 egg. Now you really want to combine all the ingredients good and proper, really get your hands in there and squish like you mean it!
- When you are all mixed roll the mince into balls and gently press down to form burger patties.
- When it comes time for grilling, drizzle a little oil over the patties, and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the patties (if it is good quality fresh mice you can cook it medium rare... if you trust your butcher)
- As the burgers are cooking don’t be scared to give a little extra sprinkle of salt and pepper.
And it's really that simple, no need to over complicate, no need to add any breadcrumbs and very importantly don’t be scared to season!