Right... Now we should start by saying before we get any hate this is to us... The perfect steak. The Easiest, Quickest sure-fire way to get an amazing steak at home.
You only need a few things:
- Steak of your choice, Rib eye or Porterhouse (thicker cut 1 to 2 inches)
- Cast iron pan
- Spice Rub
- More Butter
- So you have everything you need, First thing we want you to do is season your steak. Sprinkling of sea salt and a bit of black pepper. Do this at least 30 minutes before you are ready to cook.
- After your steak has sat for a little it's time to turn the pan onto a high heat. Don't use any oil. The cast iron should be hot enough to stop it from sticking.
- When you pan is hot, it's time. Place your steak in the pan and keep an eye on the temp but always try to maintain that high temperature. This will sear the steak fast and keep in all those juices.
- Give the steak about 3 minutes on the first side before turning over. Then another 2 minutes before turning the temp down to a low to medium heat.
- Now is the time for the butter. The glorious make everything taste better butter. Add in a decent knob or 2 of butter. Enough to fully coat the bottom of the pan. As the butter is melting and bubbling away use a spoon to continuously baste your steak.
- It's at this point that if you are using a spice rub you want to sprinkle it on. Continue spooning the butter over the meat for another minute then remove the steak.
And ladies and gentlemen its as simple as that. Timing of course will depend greatly on the size and cut of steak. For a 1 1/2 inch cut, about 8 minutes in total should get you a nice medium rare.
It's very important to not add your rub until closer to the end as the high heat used to sear the steak will burn the sugars and spices.
Also don't Forget, when it comes time to eat remember you have a pan full of juicy buttery goodness that can be used as a sauce. :)